Microsoft is going to start automatic compress the latest version of the Microsoft Edge depending on the Chromium engine which is running Windows 10 April 2018 version as the new version will change the legacy version. Though it is suggested updating the new version, there are several reasons you may want to ignore the update.
The reason might be anything and you can use Registry or the Microsoft Blocker Toolkit to stop Windows Update from installing the Windows 10 latest version of the Microsoft Edge automatically. If you want to prevent installing, then this post might be helpful. Read through the blog and follow the steps to avoid installing Microsoft Edge Chromium automatically on Windows 10.
How to Prevent Installing Edge Chromium via Blocker Toolkit
The simple way to avoid Edge Chromium from installing the Windows update by using Microsoft Blocker Toolkit.
How to Get the Blocker Toolkit
If you want to get the Blocker Toolkit, then you can follow the provided steps:
- Launch the Microsoft support website.
- Tap on the Blocker Toolkit link option.
- Tap twice on MicrosoftEdgeChromiumBlockerToolkit.exe which you have downloaded earlier.
- Press the Yes option.
- Hit the Browse option.
- Choose the folder to remove files.
- Tap on the OK option.
- Press the OK option again.
How to Apply Microsoft Edge Blocker
If you want to use Microsoft Edge Blocker, then abide by the given steps:
- Go to Start.
- Locate for the Command Prompt.
- Right-click on a result, and then choose Run as administrator button.
- Insert given a command to go to a removed folder then click Enter:
- Insert the given command to prevent Windows Update from downloading it and then click Enter:
As the process is complete when the Microsoft starts deployment Windows Update will not download the latest version of Edge.
How to Stop Windows Update From Installing Edge Chromium via Registry
If you do not want to use a script, then you can edit Registry to stop Windows 10 to download and install the latest version on the PC. If you wish to stop the Windows Update from installing Edge Chromium via Registry, then pursue the given instructions:
- Go to Start.
- Locate for Regedit and then tap on the result to launch Registry.
- Browse the given location:
- Right-click on Microsoft key.
- Choose New, and then tap on Key.
- Choose the name of key EdgeUpdate and click on Enter.
- Right-click on created key.
- Choose New, and then tap on DWORD Value.
- Choose the name of key DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium and then click Enter.
- Tap twice on the currently created DWORD and then set value from 0 to 1.
- Press the OK option.
When the procedure is complete, Microsoft Edge depending on Chromium will not download and install on the PC. Users can revert the changes apply the same steps, but ensure to modify the value from 1 to 0.
Maria Martinez is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, she has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup